Apology -- Various verses
FRIDAY, MARCH 27
Author: Jeremy Witt
I feel convicted about something from Thursday’s devotional. No one has said this, but my spirit is stirred. When we type or write, people cannot hear our tone or spirit with which we speak. This causes the reader to miss much of our communication. As the one who wrote, I must write more effectively so that my words convey this tone and spirit. This not only applies to this but also to what we put on social media. May we communicate the love of Jesus, the grace of the Cross, the Hope of the Resurrection, and the expectancy of His return.
I am fully aware that many of us are hurting emotionally, worried about their livelihoods and futures. I am also aware of many who are quarantined because of possible exposure. As I reread and thought of my words, I felt as if I was “preachy” and unloving. As Paul mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13:1-2, “if I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a nosy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.” (NLT)
I am concerned that I came across as unloving. I am not any better than you. I am struggling too. Those words were meant to encourage and strengthen your faith (and my faith) because I keep allowing myself to take my eyes off of Jesus. Never would I try to push you away from the LORD. My heart’s desire is to encourage, challenge, and support you in your walk towards becoming more like Jesus.
I want to be iron that helps to sharpen you. I need that from you as well. So let me apologize for not clearly communicating yesterday. I will strive to do better. I will close with some verses that help me to hope, to trust, and not fear.
- Deuteronomy 31:8 “the LORD Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged.”
- Joshua 1:9 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
- Psalm 56:8 “When I am afraid, I will trust in You.”
- 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.”
- Luke 12:22-23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.”
- “But seek first God’s kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.” Matthew 6:33-34
- Hebrews 4:16 “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
- Psalm 33:22 “May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in You.”
- Psalm 43:5 “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God.”
- Romans 12:12 “Be joyful in hope, faithful in prayer.”
“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus . . . Hebrews 12:2”